Re: How to trigger the death of zsh(3.0.5)

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 07:53:20AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Oct 9,  9:29pm, Mircea Damian wrote:
> } Subject: Re: How to trigger the death of zsh(3.0.5)
> }
> } I think that the right one is "". Though if I type \Cv \My the echo
> } is:
> } (escape y)
> } which makes me to belive that my alt key is working ok (by prefixing the
> } key with an escape char).
>
> Alt-y should generate one 8-bit character for the \C\My binding to work
> correctly.  On my system Alt-y is \371 (ù), and Ctrl-Alt-y is \231 (?).
>
> Anytime a key generates a two- character or longer sequence, you have to
> spell it out explicitly in the bindkey command.  I'm -guessing- that you
> use xterm mappings to get ESC y from Alt-y, but that you haven't made a
> mapping for Ctrl-Alt-y, and that therefore xterm sends plain y on that
> combination.
Yes you are right, I'm using Xmodmap for xterm, but shouldn't the linux
console be ok?

Anyway I can trick the last one with "loadkeys" but I don't think that this
the best option.

If you rely on generating 8-bit sequences then if I would use a plain
terminal(of course I won't do that :-)) which is not able to generate 8-bit
chars what would happen? IMHO the best choice here is to make an option to
swap between the two types.

But still why \Cv \C\My gives me only an ESC ???

--
Mircea Damian
Network Manager