Re: How to trigger the death of zsh(3.0.5)

On Oct 12,  7:40pm, Mircea Damian wrote:
} Subject: Re: How to trigger the death of zsh(3.0.5)
}
} > Alt-y should generate one 8-bit character for the \C\My binding to work
} >
} > Anytime a key generates a two- character or longer sequence, you have to
} > spell it out explicitly in the bindkey command.
}
} I'm using Xmodmap for xterm, but shouldn't the linux console be ok?

I don't know very much about how the linux console works.  A quick test
on my machine shows the console emitting ESC Ctrl-y for Ctrl-Alt-y, which
fits what you described, but I don't know why that's the case.

} If you rely on generating 8-bit sequences then if I would use a plain
} terminal(of course I won't do that :-)) which is not able to generate 8-bit
} chars what would happen? IMHO the best choice here is to make an option to
} swap between the two types.

Zsh does this with two sets of key bindings (keymaps).  If your terminal
sends real 8-bit bytes when the Alt or Meta keys are held down, then you
should use "bindkey -m" to enable the default meta-bindings.  (I forget
whether there's some other way to automatically enable that keymap, and
keybinding stuff has changed somewhat in 3.1.4.)

If your terminal doesn't send 8 bits (including if your stty settings
strip to 7 bits, which might happen e.g. on dialups) then you should not
use any of the meta-bindings.

} But still why \Cv \C\My gives me only an ESC ???

My guess is that it's sending ESC Ctrl-y (as for the console).  Ctrl-v
quotes the ESC, but then Ctrl-y executes "yank" which inserts nothing
because the kill buffer is empty.