Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 9:45 AM Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, like I said, I think it would make a lot of sense for command
> line syntax highlighting to be included by default. It feels odd to
> have a feature like region_highlight that is basically impossible to
> use for anyone without using a plugin.

Just pointing out:
1) Syntax highlighting is an application of region_highlight that was
invented after region_highlight was added, it was not the reason for
region_highlight
2) Syntax analysis is a complicated process that would be a mysterious
black box to new users and might make zsh appear slow in some
circumstances (compare discussion of vcs_info)
3) There are at least two "competing" implementations that I know of:
the one Daniel co-maintains, and one created (forked?) by Sebastian
Gniazdowski which he heavily optimized