Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On 9 Feb 2021, at 03:44, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are various Zsh plugins and plugin managers that mark private
> functions and parameters with various punctuation prefixes. It's
> annoying to get these randomly inserted into completions and makes the
> completion system that much harder to use.

You're talking about like the z-asug and z-sy-h stuff? I guess that's true.
The completion system also uses some parameters like _comps that probably
aren't useful to complete in most cases. I don't know, maybe i was being too
conservative after all. What do others think?

What other characters besides _ do you know of that are used as prefixes? If
that's the only one, we could at least err on the side of limiting it to
that...?

On 9 Feb 2021, at 03:44, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Additionally, as someone else pointed out, macOS has a ton of
> system users with names that start with underscores. You generally
> don't want to see those either.

On macOS, that's probably true. Like i said, i do hide them myself. I just
don't know about other systems and use cases. Does anyone else have an
opinion? If it seems risky elsewhere, but OK for macOS, we could gate it
behind [[ $OSTYPE == darwin* ]], i guess.

On 9 Feb 2021, at 03:44, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, that function is used for completions, so I felt that it made it
> OK to use the _ prefix. However, I will happily remove the lowercase
> sorting logic altogether.

At first glance the sorting logic does seem a bit elaborate like i said, but
idk. If you do want to define any functions for the config, i would just make
sure to give them names that aren't likely to conflict with anything else.
_lowercase seems really generic. You could at least make it, like...
_zshrc_lowercase, or something.

On 9 Feb 2021, at 04:04, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bart, Dana: What exactly do you see as the upside of using the prompt
> theme system? What does the user gain from taking it into use?

I just thought it'd be nice to have an easy way for people who are already
invested in prompt themes to switch to whatever this cool new prompt is going
to be (without having to hunt down the template file and copy/paste).

I assume Roman's concern is that prompt themes are too 'magic' for a default
config that's partially meant to show new users how to customise the shell to
their liking, which is fair.

I'm definitely not married to the idea, we can just do it 'raw' in the zshrc.

dana