Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On 9 Feb 2021, at 05:39, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But if you really want to see someone go wild with prefixes, check out
> the Zinit code: https://github.com/zdharma/zinit/blob/master/zinit.zsh

Oh yeah, i forgot, lol

On 9 Feb 2021, at 05:39, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How is it risky? If you need to find a username that starts with a
> certain prefix, then you will still be able to find it by typing said
> prefix. We have included the _ignored completer, after all.

People often use completion to find possibilities they aren't aware of ahead
of time, or to see what the total set of possibilities is. (At least i
certainly do — it's actually one of the *main* things i use it for.) And since
this is a config for novices, i'm afraid that we might trick them into
believing that certain possibilities don't even exist. If they don't know
they're there in the first place, it will never occur to them to try manually
entering a _ or whatever before completing.

... But i also think you have to balance that fear with what's likely to be
the most convenient for the most people. So i don't know. I am starting to
feel like there's more merit to it than i initially gave it; i just want to
make sure we don't confuse or inconvenience many people.

On 9 Feb 2021, at 05:39, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah, you mean, define the prompt in the system, rather than in this
> .zshrc file? Yeah, that could make sense.

Yeah, but Roman's point is very good. I guess if we wanted to we could just
maintain it in both places, it's only a few variable assignments. But it's not
a big deal either way, it was just an idle thought.

On 9 Feb 2021, at 05:39, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, I am currently working on a prompt system of my own (not
> published anywhere yet). But instead of making this separate plugin, I
> could of course consider contributing this back "upstream" in the form
> of improvements to promptinit & co. Would that be something that you'd
> be interested in? I can of course first publish the code, so you can
> actually see what I'm talking about.

Like i said, i don't personally use prompt themes, and probably never will, so
i may not be the one to ask. But ideas for improvement are welcome in general,
of course

dana